I’m obsessed with workspaces right now. I’d take a picture of mine but all I have is a laptop (soon to be replaced) and a bag of Lay’s. I don’t know if that says much about me.
My 10 favourite iPhone apps:
Besides the standard Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr apps here’s the list of my most-used apps on my iPhone:
- Pulse News - The organized and accessible version of my Google Reader. I follow NPR, Huffington Post, The Guardian UK and BBC to get my daily news, and a whole bunch of other blogs to keep up to date with art, fashion and other lifestyle-type things. It’s the app my eyes are glued to when I’m on public transit. I usually start my mornings with cereal and Pulse.
- Camera+ - Best photography app by a mile. The quality of pictures are amazing. Photos look like they come out of a bridge camera (mostly outdoors or in good lighting). There are so many manual controls that it’s unfair to simplify it as your typical photo-editing app, where you take a picture and slap on a cross-processed overlay. This app can manually focus and produce a decent amount of DOF. In terms of editing, there are over 10 scene modes, 27 color effects (9 special paid effects), and multiple borders. You also have the option to post it on Flickr, Facebook or Twitter which is incredibly convenient.
- Hipstamatic - I prefer Hipstamatic to Instagram because of the ability to combine different faux lenses and film to produce a wide variety of effects on your iPhone pictures. Sure, you don’t decide how it looks like after you’ve already taken the photo, but that’s part of the fun. It’s similar to film in the way that you don’t know exactly how your pictures will turn out because you choose your lens, flash and film before you take it (or you can shake your phone and let the app randomly choose for you). Photojojo’s blog post on the app really sold it for me.
- Pudding Camera - This camera app is Korean so it’s impossible for me to mess around with the settings and figure out how to post pictures to Twitter. Like Hipstamatic, it uses a lens and film interface for creating effects; but unlike the aforementioned apps it has more “toy camera” options like 2/4-frame motion capture (like those 4-frame Lomography Supersamplers). It also has a faux f-stop option so you can decide how bright or dark your photos will turn out.
- Fruit Ninja - Favorite game because I’m awesome at it. Slicing fruit and avoiding bombs beats slinging birds to knock down green pigs. I love Angry Birds but ever since I updated my firmware, I lost ALL my levels and I didn’t really want to start over.
- Need for Speed Underground - If there’s one game I was so obsessed with that I played it all day, non-stop, it’s this one. Fruit Ninja is fun when I want a quick game but this one’s my absolute favourite when I’m really bored. I play it over and over again just to get more money so I can buy and soup up all my cars. I love this game so much it defined my Christmas break - LOL, not really. But it came close.
- Cut the Rope - I don’t find frogs cute, but the one in this game is ridiculously adorable. You find yourself saying ‘om nom nom’ after passing each level.
- Word Warp - Word games are my forte, or at least I’d like to think so. Since getting my phone, I’ve played the same game so I can maintain a really high score. I’ve never cheated, but I’ve left the game (paused it) and spent minutes trying to figure out what word is formed using all 6 letters so I can return and work on my growing score.
- iBooks - I’ve only started using this the last few weeks and I’m always scouring the Top Free chart for books I can read when I’m on my breaks at work. It makes me wish I had an iPad though (because squinting to read gets old after a while) which makes me feel like a massive hipster douchebag. But Dan already calls me ‘hipster cat’ so it’s too late in that regard.
- Wunderlist - Best task-management app ever. I use this to list down my variable work schedule, school deadlines and meetings. I also make lists of things to buy (consumerism lists are fun and depressing) and things to accomplish this summer (yeah right). It doesn’t make me any less of a procrastinator but at least it gives off the opposite impression.
I will be posting an entry on my favourite iPhone apps sometime this weekend
Because I enjoy the company of my iPhone more than I should.
And this is my un-sponsored plug for Pulse News, which is the app which has clocked in the most hours besides, um, Safari, Messages, Phone and iPod (which aren’t really apps, obvs). Basically, this app makes people smarter, more interesting, more attractive.
Playing with photography apps when, right now, I should be buried in Human Rights notes. Whatever, how often do you see my face?
Don’t answer that.
Cool, just in time for GPOYW!
I was going to say hello, but life has been distracting lately.
Me & Object I cannot live without
Things you should know:
- - The wait for your package to arrive is completely forgotten once said package is delivered by a guy driving a doorless truck.
- - Opening a box and getting a good waft of Lush. I know the store’s scent can be overwhelming and sometimes nauseating, but it just smells so lovely coming from a box.
- - Speaking of smelling lovely, I smell lovely.
- - Camera+ is a really good photography app for the iPhone 4.
- - These pictures were taken using Camera+ for the iPhone 4.
Loot: Angels on Bare Skin Cleanser, Godiva Shampoo, Jungle Conditioner, Twilight Bath Bomb (which smells ridiculously delicious), Comforter Bubble Bar, Godmother Soap, Full of Grace Serum, Honey I Washed the Kids Soap (which also smells like heaven), and samples of: Gentle Lentil, Waylander Rhassoul, Honey Waffle and Summer Pudding.
Saw a double rainbow last Sunday. Excused myself from serving groggy customers their morning coffee to take a picture.
15 page paper and sifting through hours of footage. Sorry for being MIA. I was acting like… Tumblr.
These belong to Dan but I’m lucky enough to hold them once in a while.
Holy fucking dream come true! I told Dan I wasn’t buying an iPhone until Steve Jobs made one that could cook bacon. Where can I get this? Where can I sell my soul?